OTI Poster by Gracia Ruthie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Two years ago, my high school performed
our own production of the Broadway musical 'Once on This Island' at Taman
Ismail Marzuki, Jakarta. The show was a great success, and I made many
unforgettable memories with my friends during both the preparations and the
performance night.
'Once on This Island' is a story about a
peasant girl who fell in love with a rich boy, a story about how love can
conquer many hardships, even death. It is an adaptation of Hans
Christian Andersen's 'The Little Mermaid' set in Haiti. While I personally thought that the
storyline was a bit cliché, I enjoyed the songs and dance very much. This was why I decided to design my own version of the musical’s
poster for my school's art project.
My poster was originally inspired by
Haitian art, but I give it a cut-out paper look to make it more cheerful and childish
(our show was targeted at kids). The tree in the center is my own design
of the Haitian ‘Tree of Life’, a popular local metallurgy product. I chose the
tree as it symbolizes life, strength, and growth. The branches of the tree also
formed a heart silhouette, as love is the main theme of the show. Sitting
underneath the tree are the two main characters, the peasant girl Ti Moune and
the rich boy Daniel.
I made this poster over a year ago, so now
I can see the many mistakes that I made. Still, I remember having a lot of fun
creating this; discovering interesting myths, beliefs, and arts of another
culture. I truly enjoyed every minute of the process.

Always important to revisit old works and reflect (to better).
ReplyDelete